Sunday, December 28, 2008

hope for the new year

So it is the week after Christmas and with it comes the startling realization that the house is a cluttered mess and the Christmas tree must come down and I really need to try to make it through the next few days eating minimal amounts of chocolate.

In a fit of organization I began cleaning my desk area which is a bit of a black hole or black heap - however you choose to look at it. I had, up until today, entertained the notion that if I replaced my desk with a new one – one with more storage areas, more baskets, more pen holder things - that it would be utterly organized, functional, and thus, beautiful. I now understand that was wishful thinking. My work area could achieve that level of organization only if I never worked in it, which would rather defeat its purpose. In the midst of this misguided project I discovered a note card with the most wonderful forgotten little quote (Thank you, JannieLynn, for introducing it to me in the first place). So I quit my compulsive fit of cleaning to consider for a moment these beautiful words so full of hope:

It is never too late to be who you might have been. – George Eliot

There are many things that stand in the way of embracing life and our place in it but I think the most devastating and insidious of these obstacles is hopelessness. And so as a new year begins my wish for myself, my wish for you too, is that each day would be filled with hope.

And in that sentiment, I return to my desk.

1 comment:

Jan Brown said...

I'm so glad the quote raised your spirits. It's one I come back to often myself.

And I'm so sorry to hear you are recovering from surgery. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers in the coming weeks. Try to just rest and focus on letting your body heal. There'll be lots of time for writing when you are feeling better - and I for one will look forward to reading whatever you feel moved to write about.