Friday, May 15, 2009

following the rules that I myself have made up for my son

And right now while I am writing Shaun is doing something essential and helpful like folding laundry or learning how to make more money and I am doing what is inexplicably essential to me – writing.

Today I’m thinking about following rules. Specifically, following the rules that I myself have made up for my son.

The first year with Seth was easy. There were no rules then. They only became necessary when he started wrecking the house and otherwise behaving badly. And yes they were (and continue to be) challenging for him but what surprises me is how difficult some of them are for me. Take, for example, the early rules: No hitting, No biting, No throwing. No hitting was easy. I’m way too non-confrontational to have issues in that area. No biting, also easy. No throwing…well, that was a tough one.

Something like 98% of the time I am calm, patient, and generally tolerant of people and situations but there is the odd occasion when my temper gets the best of me and I do something that violates this “no throwing” rule. So there, I admit it, I throw things; I am a thing thrower. Actually the statement “throw things” is not entirely true. I’ve never thrown much in the plural sense. I would say instead that I throw a thing– thing being whatever tool, frying pan, or unattached object somehow connected with the distressing situation. I do take some comfort in the fact that I’ve never actually thrown any thing at a human target, say my husband (for which he is unknowingly grateful). I simply propel the thing in the general direction of “away from me.” And while I’ve never really been proud of this type of behavior, I did feel it provided some sort of positive stress relief and since no one was hurt in the process, it could be deemed as harmless, and perhaps even beneficial. Then along came one-year old Seth and the sudden realization that his two little eyes were watching me, learning from me and that is when I realized I had to change. If throwing was unacceptable for Seth then why was it acceptable for me?

They have a name for people who make up rules that they themselves don’t follow- they’re called hypocrites. And the fact is, I don’t want my son to grow up thinking I am a hypocrite. Okay he’s four now so he doesn’t actually have a good working definition of that word but when he gets one I don’t want it to be associated with me.

So that was the first step to following the rules that I myself made up for my son. It hasn’t been so very hard, not throwing things. I try to do what I’ve taught my son to do – take a break from the situation, do something different, take three deep breaths, etc. And it seems to be working – for both of us. I can’t remember the last time either of us let something fly. And I couldn’t be more proud of us.

4 comments:

Beth Brawley Taylor said...

I have often wanted to throw things, but I am obsessively neat and my disdain for cleaning up unnecessary messes precludes this other desire. I may still try it when no one is looking though. I do find it helpful to get in my car with the doors shut and scream and pound my fists into the passenger seat until I am exhausted (thirty seconds later). I don't have to apologize for this behavior later. Bonus!

Erica said...

I am a thing-thrower, too, and a door- and drawer-slammer. I always feel a little silly afterward. This behavior earned me an anger management book from my college roommate. Haha.

Good luck with following your new rules. :)

Terra Jones said...

I once threw a shoe at Chris when we lived in Villa Rica. Now,I like to punch things, anything near at the moment (except people of course). I don't do so well in high pressure, stressful moments. I just try to remember that about myself and try to keep it calm. Punching hasn't changed anything yet...but it really hurts my fists (depending on what I hit).

Jan Brown said...

Ha ha ha!! I love this! Thanks for the insight, and the laughter.