Saturday, October 11, 2008

oatmeal battle scar

I am, as it turns out, somewhat accident-prone. I can go for weeks without displaying any real uncoordinated behavior but then it catches up with me. At that point I typically experience several mishaps in quick succession which serve to remind me once again the need to be a little more careful.

Yesterday it was Rachel vs. boiling hot oatmeal. Steel cut oats to be exact. Inexplicably, I missed the bowl and poured a good bit of the steaming stickiness right on to my leg. I yelped and tore off my shorts then tried desperately to push my leg up over the counter and into the sink for some cold running water. It took longer than it should have for me to realize that was not a very good plan. I’m simply not that flexible. I glimpsed over at Seth and my nephew, Avery, suddenly realizing that they may have been traumatized in some way by the incident or at least by my reaction to it. They were not. I tried to enlist Seth’s help by asking him to get ice for me but he just kept saying “underpanties” and laughing. I got the ice myself. Today I have a little battle scar on my knee (that’s what we call them at our house, battle scars, booboos are for wimps - at least according to Shaun and Seth). Oh well, at least it’s not nearly as bad as the time I almost blew myself up.

3 comments:

Beth Brawley Taylor said...

And this is precisely why I love you so much. I'm just glad that I don't do things that make people point and laugh like, say, throwing my communion juice back like a shot of whiskey in front of the entire church. At least I wasn't standing there in only my panties.

Erica said...

Poor Rachel. I had an embarrassing burning experience recently myself. While I was working at the Y I spilled boiling hot tea on my hand and didn't realize I'd burned myself badly till I was sobbing. I thought I was just being overly emotional about all the people staring at me as I wiped up tea off the floor, but I spent the next three hours with ice on my hand. I went home early and spent the rest of the day feeling like a very big baby.

Alas. :)

Bill Miller said...

I want to hear about the time you almost blew yourself up! :-)

I once burnt myself when I was probably about 12 years old. I was making macaroni and cheese (classic Kraft from the box) and when I went to dump the noodles into the colander, lifting the pot up, I displaced the steel "grill" that held the pot over our gas burner. When I went to put the pot back after successful noodle-draining, I moved the grill back in place with two bare fingers. Oops (no crying though:). I immediately put my fingers under cold running water in the sink. After about 10 minutes, I said to my Dad (who was on the couch watching TV): "Dad, will you finish the mac & cheese?"

He replied, "why is that Bill?"

"I burnt myself."