Tuesday, September 15, 2009

life song

So I am currently discovering something that is kind of exciting - a quasi-revelation about life. I use the words “quasi” and “kind of” because this may be absolute garbage and produce no real revelation at all – that is my official disclaimer. But like most revelations, if this truly is one, time will bear it out.

It began when an idea for a song somehow found its way into my in to my head. This doesn’t happen often these days but when it does, I try to take a few seconds and write it down on a scrap of paper or the back of a napkin or some bubble gum paper whatever is handy. And though the likelihood that I will actually devote any time to these little wisps of inspiration is practically none, it makes me feel better to know that I am making some sort of an effort. And so it was with the words that popped into my head the other morning. I dutifully scribbled them on a blue post it, then placed them in the desk drawer designated for creative thought, AKA, the black hole.

The revelation came as my mind turned to the creative process as a whole - the excitement that comes with that first thought, those first lines, the first hint of a melody. The feeling you get when all those little neurons start firing in earnest and you stumble upon a beautiful mystery that is larger than yourself and compels you to just watch and listen for a while so it can reveal itself to you. It’s in that moment you feel unsinkable, as if you could conquer the world, or at least a small part of it with sheer creative genius alone. That’s how it feels to me.


I’d like to say it carries on like that but it’s never really worked out that way. Creating something takes time and effort and changing. Somewhere along the line you start to wonder whether it’s worth your time or effort because that is a real question after all. But then you decide to stay with it only you really must change this word or that one or make the chorus the bridge because it was never actually a chorus at all, it just seemed that way at first. And then ultimately you arrive at something that you can be proud of, something that is really meaningful to you. Only you look back and you find that the one line, the one that got you going in the first place, the springboard for all your efforts, has been replaced by something that you found along the way or perhaps forgotten altogether. And that seems odd at first because when you first began everything was so focused around it. Only now looking back, you see it was essential only in the sense that it served as a starting point.

Songs are like that, and sometimes so is life.

3 comments:

Erica said...

Absolutely.

Beth Brawley Taylor said...

I get that! It's like Anne Lamott points out in "Bird by Bird" where she talks about "shitty first drafts". We have to get that first thing out there and to start with we think it is the most beautiful thing ever. When my babies were all born, i thought they were the most magnificent looking creatures until their 6 month photos were taken and then I looked back on those first photos and gasped at how much like aliens they looked. Ideas in their infancy are sometimes uglier than we are able to see but it is getting it out there that counts. Good stuff Rachel.

Jan Brown said...

I love this! It's been awhile since I visited your blog (I've been busy training for a marathon) so only read it today and was bowled over by it. You have great insights and a gift for expressing them. Thanks for sharing them.