Sunday, June 15, 2008

best dad on the planet

This is for Shaun who is probably the best Dad on the planet. That is a tremendous blessing to me but, if I’m honest, sometimes it’s hard to live with a guy like that. I love my son, it’s true, but I’m not going to be nominated for “Mother of the Year” any time soon.

I see what a wonderful relationship Shaun is building with Seth and I’m awed by it. It’s like watching an acrobat fly through the air. You see him moving so precisely and in that moment, as you watch his skill so masterfully displayed, you realize just how clumsy you are. Sometimes I watch Shaun like that.

I’d like to think Shaun has this endless supply of energy but I’ve seen him get tired. I’d like to think he never gets frustrated but it happens sometimes. I’d like to think he never needs time for himself but he does. So what is it then? Something his parents did or didn’t do? Sheer will-power?

I was really curious so I asked him about it one day and he told me this: “I just knew that I was going to be a great Dad.” Translation: “Whatever it takes, whatever the sacrifice, I made the choice a long time ago that I was going to be there for my kid.” It’s not some lofty goal. It’s what he lives out every day.

Shaun, you’re my hero!

Seth, what a lucky boy you are!

No comments: